The Efficient Grain Dryer Program is an energy efficiency program intended to assist producers with reducing the overall energy use on their operations. The program can only fund equipment that shows a significant energy efficiency improvement over the standard practice. Aeration fans and ducts, supplemental bin heaters, grain elevators and conveyors, hopper bins, and standard grain dryer configurations, are all important tools in managing grain storage. Unfortunately, however, these are standard equipment and none of them are premium-efficiency options and therefore DO NOT meet the requirements of the program on their own. Grain dryer and grain drying system components that significantly improve energy efficiency above standard configuration are eligible under the program. These components can be factory options on new equipment or retrofits installed on existing equipment.
The Efficient Grain Dryer Program shares costs with Active Producers on the purchase of grain dryer components that make grain dryers more energy-efficient to operate. The Program is designed to help cut input costs and reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
There is limited funding in the Program. Applications completed to the satisfaction of the Minister will be considered for approval on a first-come, first-served basis, subject to Program eligibility criteria and Program funding constraints.
If an Application is approved, funds will be granted to the Applicant pursuant to a Grant Agreement that is in the form of an Approval Letter Grant or an Executed Grant.
Eligible grain drying components may include (but is not limited to):
- Enclosed Dryer Roof, or Enclosed Dryer Top Cover
- Automatic Moisture-based Controllers
- High-Efficiency Burners
- Variable Speed Drives (VSD) for Electric Motors
- PTO to Electric Motor Conversion
- Insulated Plenums
- Exhaust Air Recirculation Systems
- Heat Exchangers
- Gravity-Fill Roofs
- Electrical or Gas Submeters on Dryers
- Temperature And Moisture Monitoring Cables For In-Bin Drying Systems
- Thermostats Or Thermometers For Plenum Or Burner Temperature Control On In-Bin Drying Systems
- Adapter Plates For Efficiently Fitting External Heaters To In-Bin Drying Systems
Program funding is 50% of eligible expenses.
Download the application form, funding list, and terms and conditions for more details.