Council for Big Lakes County is considering proposed amendments to the Big Lakes County Land Use Bylaw No. 03-2017. The purpose of proposed Bylaw
No. 14-2021 is as follows:
- Land Use Bylaw Section 1.7 Definitions:
- Amend the definition of Caretaker’s Residence to read: Caretaker/Security Residence: an accessory development that provides accommodation for the sole purpose of security personnel and/or the accommodation for the owner, operator, or required on-site employees.
- Add the following definition: Dwelling – Live Work Unit: a building that contains a dwelling unit that is secondary to a floor space dedicated for the purpose of conducting work or providing a service with an internal connection between the two uses. For example, a dwelling unit is located above a convenience store; the convenience store is the primary land use and the owner of the convenience store lives in the attached dwelling unit. This is different than home occupations, where the dwelling unit is the primary use, and the occupation is the secondary use.
- Section 7.9.2 Hamlet Commercial (HC) District Uses be amended to add a discretionary use as follows:
PERMITTED DISCRETIONARY Dwelling - Live Work Unit
- Section 7.15.2 Highway Commercial (HWC) District Uses be amended to add discretionary uses as follows:
PERMITTED DISCRETIONARY Caretaker/Security Residence Dwelling - Live Work Unit
Copies of the proposed Land Use Bylaw Amendment may be examined in the office of the County Administration Building between the hours of
8:15 a.m. to noon and 12:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday to Friday.
Any person, group of persons, or person representing them who claims to be affected by the proposed bylaw amendment may make an oral or written submission to Council for consideration. If you would like to make a presentation to Council, contact Big Lakes County at 780-523-5955.
The Public Hearing will be held on December 8, 2021 at 11:00 a.m. in the Council Chambers at the Big Lakes County Administration Office.
For additional information, contact the Planning & Development department at 780-523-5955.