DIRECTOR OF COMMUNITY & PROTECTIVE SERVICES
Permanent Full Time
High Prairie Administration Office
“Building a Sustainable Municipality”
Building - Through council’s leadership, building and diversifying Big Lakes County’s economy and strengthening the County’s role as a leader of rural municipalities.
Sustainable – Striving for sustainability in Big Lakes County by setting the stage for continued innovation, education, diversification and good government.
Municipality – Maintaining the rural landscape in Big Lakes County by protecting agricultural resources and significant natural environments for future generations.
The Director of Community & Protective Services is accountable to the Chief Administrative Officer and provides support to County Council for the planning, organization and direction of the Community & Protective Services Department including Agricultural Services, Animal and Pest Control, Economic Development, Fire & Emergency Services, Bylaw and Enforcement Services, Safety and other special projects as required.
Key Roles & Responsibilities
- The Director of Community & Protective Services supervises the following positions:
o Agricultural Fieldman
o Animal Care & Control Officer
o Bylaw Enforcement Officer
o Peace Officers (2 contract positions)
o Fire Chief
o Executive Director of Economic Development (contract)
- Supervisory duties include budgeting, staffing, training, mentoring, performance evaluations, coaching, advising, disciplining, and monitoring tasks.
While contributing at the senior management level to the County strategic direction, values and vision, the Director of Community & Protective Services will perform the following duties:
- As a member of the Senior Management team, plan, organize, direct and control the Community & Protective Services Department by setting goals and objectives, establishing, and implementing County policy.
- Ensure that policies and programs adopted by Council and Boards/Committees are transmitted to Community & Protective Services employees.
- Administer Community & Protective Services in conformity with the strategic direction, corporate policy and all relevant statutes, bylaws and resolutions.
- Ensure reports to Council meet the objectives of the Chief Administrative Officer and contain the necessary information and recommendations to facilitate Council’s decision making.
- Provide direction and control related to the preparation of the interim and annual budgets of Community & Protective Services.
- Coordinate and direct the preparation of long-range operational and capital plans for Community & Protective Services.
- Attend all Council meetings and attend meetings of Committees, Boards and Advisory Bodies as necessary; during meetings, make observations, suggestions and recommendations as appropriate.
- Maintain a high level of day-to-day contact with the Chief Administrative Officer with regard to operational matters and budget accountability.
- Maintain a high level of day-to-day contact with Community & Protective Services employees with regard to operational matters and budget accountability.
- Provide information to Council, staff, and the general public concerning existing and proposed policies, practices and programs of the County.
- Ensure that employees of Community & Protective Services are provided with a safe and healthy workplace consistent with organizational standards and the healthy workplace initiatives.
- Enhance community relations and promote County programs and initiatives; build local/regional partnerships
- Participate in and encourage participation by Community & Protective Services staff in non-corporate projects and teams.
Education & Experience
- Post-secondary education in Business, Public Administration, Political Science or other related discipline or a combination of equivalent education and experience.
- NACLAA Certificate would be an asset.
- A minimum 3 years’ experience in Municipal or Senior Management Operations with supervisory experience preferred.
- Proven ability to meet deadlines in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the Municipal Government Act and Provincial Statues.
- Basic accounting skills and familiarity with finances and budgets.
- Criminal Records Check
- Provide a 5 year drivers abstract
- Valid Class 5 Drivers License
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes
- Exceptional research, writing and conceptual skills.
- Computer literacy including proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and public relations skills.
- Ability to interact well with, and respond to inquiries from employees, Council and Ratepayers.
- Familiarity and understanding of relevant provincial legislation, bylaws, policies and procedures.
- Thorough knowledge of municipal operations and sufficient knowledge of the functions of Agricultural Services, Pest & Animal Control, OH&S, Fire & Emergency Services and Bylaw Enforcement. To provide effective overall leadership for these functions and to represent service needs to the Senior Leadership Team, Council and the Community.
- Good knowledge of project management practices and principles.
- Ability to provide timely, high quality services that effectively serve the needs of Council and the community.
- Ability to work collaboratively, ensuring interpersonal skills contribute to effective team functioning and performance.
- Must be able to maintain strict confidentiality.
- Attributes of the incumbent will include exceptional conflict management, negotiation, decision making, leadership, analytical, planning, organizational and coaching skills, as well as strong oral and written communication skills.
Working Conditions & Physical Environment:
- Extensive use of computer and telephone.
- Long periods of sitting, good lighting, temperature and noise control.
- Medium physical effort in relation to the season; occasional light-moderate lifting.
- Use and operation of a vehicle.
- Occasional environmental exposure to weather conditions, rough terrain.
- Regular working day consists of 7.25 hours
- Some travel may be required.
Health & Safety:
- All personnel working at Big Lakes County are governed by Big Lakes County Health and Safety Policy.
- Ensure proper ergonomic requirements are met and good ergonomic procedures are practiced.
- Ensure proper safety training and safe work practices for Community & Protective Services staff.
Submit cover letter and resume, including references to:
Human Resources Manager
Big Lakes County
Box 239, High Prairie, AB T0G 1E0
Ph: 780-523-5955 Fx: 780-523-4227
Deadline for applications: Open until suitable candidate is found.
Big Lakes County thanks all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Visit our website at www.biglakescounty.ca for more information.